Sunday, June 04, 2006

Meet Echo!

Today was our first visit to see the new puppies, and we got first pick of all the blue males. What a tough decision! They all look the same at this age (two days shy of 4 weeks), and pretty much do the same things... stumble around, whimper until you pick it up or pay attention to only it, and sleep.

My god are they ever CUTE!! and NO, I didn't photoshop these pictures. They really are that colour! (they don't look so blue in the other photos) It's amazing to think that they'll double in size in another 4 weeks, and then see them full grown in about a year. How do you pick? I had read a few things online about the process, but you would have to have a pretty keen eye to catch anything at this age.


We went into the pen where they were all sleeping on top of each other and they all woke up pretty quickly and came over to see what was going on. So we just sat and played with them all if they came over, picked them up, had a look at the jowls for any that might be smaller than the others.... (Marnie's only criteria). It was a lot of fun. But how do you pick!? We held them upside down to see if any would fight more than others -- the same reaction. 'Oh, that's nice. I think I'll sleep now'.

Some came when we called out "puppies, puppies, puppies!", others paid no attention, but there were ALWAYS two that came over to both Marnie and I whenever we were near the pen, or sat down if they weren't busy. Light blue collar and Black collar. So that's how we narrowed the pick - they consistently came to us both, so we decided that it had to be between those two;


...and the winner is, BLACK COLLAR!




We decided on him because Danielle told us he's little bit smaller (which could totally mean nothing) and has a smaller head, and Marnie noticed that he seemed to have a shape of head similar to his father where the other one had more of a shape of his grand dad Angus.
Whatever, they looked the same to me?

Anyway, after we picked, we went for another walk with the adults and hung out with them for a while. Angus nearly took me out when he was playing with the other dogs. He was running at me and must have misjudged his distance because he stopped too late and with his bum, bounced me back a few feet. yikes! We'll have to watch that...

So at the end of the visit and after seeing the puppies once more, I asked Danielle if she had email and a website or was thinking about putting one up. She said that she did try to get one up a while ago, but it didn't go very well with the guy who was doing it, so it never got online. Then she asked, Why do you know someone?
Marnie and I had discussed a while ago about me asking her if we could work something out if I did a website for her, but we never really discussed it any further. When Danielle said she didn't have a website but wanted one, and tried in the past, I just jumped on the opportunity. I said that I could do a simple website (which is all she wants), and gave her our wedding website as an example to have a look at. Anyway, she's going to look at the site (I guess, because she seemed pretty interested?) and then call me to discuss the payment and maintenance of it. I figure I'll get more than half the money back for the cost of the dog! Pretty good deal. If you've seen breeder websites, you'll understand. They are quite basic. So I need to do some research to estimate my costs a little better, but I think it's going to work out great!

1 comment:

  1. They're all so cute! I LOVE the blue colour!!! I can't believe how BIG they are at only 4 wks old. I think Mariner was smaller than that at 8 weeks when we brought her home.

    Soooo hard to choose! I really like the name Echo!

    ReplyDelete