Tuesday, June 27, 2006

T minus 3 days!!

Can you believe it?!
We are picking up Echo on Friday at 1pm! Less than 3 days at the time of this post! Yikes, it's becoming a hard reality now that we're going to be dog owners in a matter of a couple of days. It feels like so long ago that we decided to get a dog (November last year), but now that it's here, it's like, holy crap are we ready??

On Sunday we sat in on a puppy training class held in Kitchener. I think it was only the second class as they were just introducing "come", "heal" and "stay". We also found out that they use clicker training with the puppies. It was something that Marnie and I had discussed about doing, but we both didn't really know much about it (I've done some reading online about it, but other than that had really no idea). We're also sitting in on a class from a different person tonight who uses the same facility as the other one and who was trained herself by the same person as the other trainer. So we're expecting the classes to be very similar, if not exact, so it will be just a matter of who we like better. Their training philosophy is all positive reinforcements and no harsh corrections which we like. Marn didn't like the facility that much because there was a lot of echo and it was hard to hear the instructor (especially with the little mini pincher dog yapping at all the much bigger dogs when they got near him and his owner), so we might try and find some others to do some good comparison shopping.
The cool thing about this class was there was another dog from Dantry Danes there! It was a black female named Guinness (male?). So it was nice to chat with them a little about Danielle and their experience so far with her. Everything was positive about the dog and Danielle, so that's great to hear. Guinness was so cute! I didn't bring my camera, sorry...

The McCann dog training school that we mentioned in a previous post we figured is just too far to travel for training classes. When I think "travel times", I still think in terms of "Cambridge to...", and 10 years ago before it took 20 minutes to get from Mom's to the 401. So, McCann's being outside of Cambridge near African Lion's Safari is about a 45-minute to 1 hour commute for us -- too far. These other classes are about 20 minutes -- which, when you live in the sticks, is pretty good!

PS: we played Golf on Saturday at Paris and I shot an 86!! And that was with a 9 on the first hole and an 8 on the 18th! Way to start and Finish, but I'll take it. Much better than the 100 I shot on Fathers Day at Savannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment