Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Kijiji - forgot

Forgot to add one more item that we sold in the last 2 weeks -- the old clothes dryer that was here when we moved in!

So last night the guy and his wife came to look at the car, and were very interested in it, but couldn't get past the rattling noise that it makes.  If you've ever been near it, you know the noise....  I told him it's been doing that for the last year or more and has never been a problem and that our mechanic has tried to find what was making it, and couldn't.  They drove down from Meaford, which is over 2 hours away to look at it!  (Near Collingwood)  I thought that was very strange because these Caravans are EVERY WHERE.  They couldn't find one closer to them??  Anyway, they wanted it, but they really wanted their mechanic to look at it first to tell them that that noise wasn't going to be a problem like the transmission about to fail.  So they asked if they could take it back to Meaford for their mechanic to look.... I was about to let them as I didn't really know how far Meaford was, but when google maps told me it's about 2.5 hours away, I said I didn't feel comfortable with it.  Marn didn't either.  So I told him I'll have our mechanic have a look to try and determine what the noise is, and while they're at it get an estimate on what it would cost for a safety.  He said that was fine, and told me a few times that they ARE buying a van, because they need one, but it's just a matter of who's, but they wanted one soon.

Well, I feel like we maybe missed an opportunity to get rid of the van, but on the other hand, if we lend them it, what happens if they got in an accident?  Our insurance would pay, and our rates would go up.  Then if they get it up there and don't want it?  They've then put on 400+ km's more. Who's to say that their mechanic knows more than ours?  What if he's a buddy of theirs and he just says that the transmission is going to go soon to get us to lower the price.  The best we can do is either safety it, or get a list of items needed for safety and then go from there.  It's kind of silly for the guy to think that his mechanic could tell him that "something" was going to go soon. "soon" could be 1,000 kms, or it could be 10,000 km.  No one can tell you that.  It's mechanical!  You know it's worn out because of the mileage, but no one can predict when something mechanical is going to fail....

No comments:

Post a Comment