Yesterday I took Violet for her first set of immunizations. Dr. Pannozzo informed me she likely wouldn't cry for the first shot, but he had never met a baby that didn't cry for the second one. She had her DPTP (diptheria, pertussis, tetanus and polio), HIB (haemophilus, meningitis and epi-glottitis) and Prevnar (Pneumococcal infection)shots. She did cry for the second shot, but only for about 5 seconds. On the other hand, I welled when he was getting ready, a few tears fell on her face as I was trying to smile before the first shot. She looked right at Dr. Pannozzo and gave him a huge smile and he said "I am sure you won't be smiling at me after this"
She was such a cutie pie. After the first shot, she looked back at me, not smiling but not upset, then came the next one. No tears like she normally gets right away, just a few yelps. Then it was over.
Last night I was talking with Candace about how her kids were with the shots. Violet had an off day. She slept a lot and didn't eat too much. Every time she awoke I put her on to get some milk. She always drank but not for too long. Then she would look around a little and then back to sleep. Candace said she just watched her kiddies for fever and signs of fever after the shots. She gave them Tylenol before each shot too. Well, I didn't give Vi Tylenol because the doctor had told me she may not need it for these first shots. So now I am putting things together wondering if she might have a fever and is trying to sleep it off. Enter thermometer. Up until now, I always used the axilla for the temperature reading, but it made me nervous that I wasn't getting an accurate reading...enter first rectal thermometer reading. There is nothing nice about doing this to your pretty little baby for the first time. I was nervous it would bother her, hurt her, make her poop all over...she was totally fine. Talked to Andrew the whole time. Temperature was fine. I set my alarm for 3 hours and checked again. Fine. What a little trooper.
I suspect that is not the last time mommy will cry more than Violet about something...
No comments:
Post a Comment