I was up with Vi a couple of times last night so I was still in bed when Andrew left for work this morning sometime after 8. Vi started squeaking around 9. Up we went to the lazy boy chair (my preferred site for feeding as I have it set up for the TV, current book, water and the phone), when what to my wondering eyes should appear but Echo dog and many tiny pieces of something. Yes, Echo had chewed up something while I slept. I was mad. I went downstairs and as I got closer to the mess, I realised that Echo had chewed up some boxes of chocolates. Wait...Echo ate 2 boxes of Chocolate. WHAT? I freaked out, I called Andrew at work, I know that chocolate is poisonous for dogs. When I am on the phone with him I am discovering that Echo has consumed Adrienne and Dennis' Christmas present from Betty (we are sending the presents out West this week). To make matters worse, one of the packages is a dark chocolate. Enter Violet (the baby that never cries) and start the crying. So now, I have a crying hungry baby and a dog that had a nice chocolate breakfast. I quickly decided to call our vet. So I hang up on Andrew and call the vet clinic...what luck, our vet, Anne answered the phone. She asked how much chocolate Echo ate and told me to give him hydrogen peroxide. Now, if you have a 20 pound dog, they only need a little bit of peroxide to help them regurgitate, but for an Echo (170lbs) sized dog...we are looking at more than 3 tablespoons. You try making him lick it up! I grabbed the turkey baster and sat Echo down (now I am on the phone with Andrew again) and open his mouth and go to shove the baster down but then I realise I am wearing a tank top and PJ pants, how can I follow him outside in the cold to make sure he brings up the chocolate. Cursing (a lot of cursing) later I am in some sweats and force Echo to take the peroxide from my turkey baster and follow him outside. Very pleasant to observe as I am sure you can imagine. In true dog style, hey we never claimed to have a smart dog, the evidence suggested chocolate, I don't know what gave it away more...the colour or the wrappers that came up with it!
Back inside after that, call the vet again. She recommends giving him the rest of the peroxide to help clear whatever we can and then giving him pumpkin. Pumpkin? Great, that is a trip to the store....no wait. I have a can of pumpkin in the cupboard. Why, you may ask. Well, it seems when I last made a pumpkin pie from scratch Andrew gave it a 6/10 (with Betty's pumpkin pie being a 10/10 - seriously he gave me a 6 and expected more pie someday). The can has been safely in the cupboard since that rating, so yeah, I have the pumpkin. Angel baby Violet has stopped crying and is now just watching me fly around the room after Echo. The last information Anne gives me on the phone is that Echo is likely to have diarrhea. Oh great. I have a dentist appointment today. I can't leave and risk coming home to a house full of you-know-what. So now I have to arrange with Andrew to come home early to watch Vi and Echo so that I can go have my teeth scraped. All the while I still haven't fed Vi.
Good grief.
Let the fun begin! Seriously though, that really sucks!! I can just see it
ReplyDeleteWhat's the deal with the Rolt's and the "difficulties" delivering on the Asbury Christmas chocolates????????
ReplyDeleteAh well. I suppose this is going to fetch us TWO boxes this year as well..............in August. :-)