Our kitchen will be accepting appliances tonight for the first time in over 5 weeks! (39 days to be exact - yikes!)
I got the grouting done last night (pretty easy to do), and wiped down twice. I think it'll need another 1 or 2 rinses before putting the stuff back in as it's still pretty hazy, but that won't take long at all. And just in time - we've been holding off on doing the dishes in anticipation of getting it all back together, so we have a huge pile of them waiting for the dishwasher on the counter.
The kitchen won't be 100% finished tonight as I will still have to trim all of the kick plates and cabinet parts which will be too long now since the floor is about an inch higher than before. I also have to figure out how to taper the rug to the new floor height as there will be about a 1/4 inch drop from tile to rug. I planned that because hardwood will make it about even, when we do that (next summer, maybe?). I didn't want a tapered edge along the tile as that will be pointless and in the way when the hardwood comes, so we'll just deal with an unsightly carpet transition for the time being. I hope it won't look to bad.
Anyway, the floor looks great. I hope it holds up! It should, as I followed all the guidelines and pro's suggestions to the tee. But I guess time will only tell... My neighbour across the street has the same model house as us, and they had the builder put tile in their kitchen and foyer. They have had them back 2 or 3 times to fixed cracked grout and problems, and they now have a cracked tile that they're stuck with because they can't find that tile anywhere to replace it. The problem was/is the builder didn't put in a strong enough floor to support the load. So that's why a while back I had to beef up out floor joists to eliminate, or minimize, the deflection. I hope it was enough.... and next house that we build (if we build again), I'll be demanding stronger floors!
Pictures to follow!
No comments:
Post a Comment