Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Last Weekend

Since I last posted about it, I suppose I should write about it.
We went to Uxbridge last weekend (I guess 2 weekends ago now) to visit Michelle's grave, and to see Terry and the kids. It was very strange to be there - we hadn't been yet. Terry and the kids also came to meet us there. They've obviously been many times over the last year, as her kids ran over pointing and saying, "there's momma!", touching her picture (they had a picture of her etched on the stone). They've done a great job keeping her "alive" to their kids, but you have to wonder if they really understand.
Nate is now 4 and Noelle is 2, and talking up a storm - much more than the average 2 year old. They say she's just like her Mom, bubbly and chatty. After visiting the site, we all went out for lunch at Swiss Chalet (Yum!), and then our car went back to Terry's house for a short visit with him and the kids. He seems to be doing really well, and the kids are great. So cute and polite (and very active!). Thank god that Michelle's parents moved close so that her Mom could help out with them.

My cold is still lingering a little bit - just a nagging cough now (like a tickle in my throat), but mostly gone.

And in other news, as of this afternoon, I AM OFFICIALLY STUDENT LOAN FREE !! The last lump sum is set up to come out at some point today - the last time it came out late afternoon, so by tonight I will be free of student debt. FINALLY! (*only* 9 years to pay back ~$44k + interest. How depressing)
To celebrate, we're going out for dinner somewhere, at some point. We're going to combine it into a Student-Load-Free-Valentines-Birthday dinner, and we have a new-found budget for this dinner of exactly $380! ;) Just kidding - I couldn't spend that much for dinner.
We do plan on putting that monthly money (plus a bit) into some kind of money market fund for savings/emergency fund/extra mortgage payments. They typically run about 4% return (I think?), but we're going to talk to our financial guy after tax season to see what's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment