so far...
The implant procedure went well, and they didn't have to undertake the painful and ugly bone bridge-graft from my lower jaw. Thank God!
I have a follow-up on Tuesday Nov. 3 to see how it's taking and healing, so hopefully everything looks good and we can move on. If it does look good, there will be one more follow-up in a few months, and if that checks out, then I'll be getting the crown and finished with this PITA! So, possibly 4-5 more months until the end.
Here's a fun little animation that I stole from the web to show you what's been going on, and what will continue to happen. The only difference is, my healing cap is not covered up like this animation shows. It's through the gums.
I thought it was funny that this animation comes from a dental website from the UK...
What a long process! Hope it goes as quickly as possible. So does that mean that they are SURE you won't need a bone transfer? Or is that still a possibility if something goes wrong down the road? Would be nice to know that is for sure NOT something they'll have to do!
ReplyDeleteWell... Yes. That was a game time decision BEFORE placing the implant in case there was insufficient bone matter to hold the implant in place. Once he opened my gums and had a look inside, he determined that I didn't need it. I did receive more synthetic marrow, but none from a donor site (my lower jaw).
ReplyDeleteIf something down the road goes wrong, that means that my body rejected the implant, as can happen with anything foreign in your body. I believe they remove it, let it heal for a while, then try again at some point ("at a highly discounted rate" -- yeah, you have to pay for it again...)