
Well you won't believe it, but we actually picked out a floor tile last week, bought them, and brought them home! They're sitting in the garage right now.
You know what else you won't believe? I ripped out the kitchen floor on the weekend and almost finished putting down a new layer of plywood. I can't believe how much I disliked the floors that we picked. Ripping it out was a nice release for me. :) What a pain in the butt that was, though. The floor for the most part was easy to pull out. It was all the cutting around the cabinets that sucked! I dragged out all the appliances into the dining room, then pulled off all the kick plates of the cabinets so that I could get the look of the cabinets sitting on top of the tile (the cabinet sides won't look that way) and then cut out about 1.5 inches of floor under them. Small spaces and large tools just don't work that well.

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to though as I ran out of time Sunday. My goal was to have the new floor screwed down and appliances moved back in to be able to use them this week... that didn't happen as they're still in the dining room... and they won't get back in tonight as I have volleyball from 7-11pm. So, it looks like a few nights of microwave and/or bbq dinners!
We have also pretty much decided to install heated flooring under the tile as well, because we got the tile at a good price, so we're looking forward to that!
I'll be finishing screwing down the new substrate layer this week, then starting the heating coil, and tile this weekend.
If everything goes according to plan, we'll have a new floor right before we head out to BC, and let it sit/dry for a week before using! Key word here being IF.

When all of this is done, I'm hoping to do the foyer and mud/laundry/powder rooms with the same tile (we enough for it all), as well as a kitchen back splash that we haven't bought, or picked out yet.... Lots of work ahead this summer before September!!
No comments:
Post a Comment