Monday, August 27, 2007

Garage Sale Success

Our first garage sale ever turned out to be a pretty good success. We made about $250, most of which from about 3 or 4 "big ticket" items. We sold our old Canon digital camera, my old 25" TV, Golf clubs, and video camera that we bought from Adrienne and Dennis a while ago - that was the biggest deal for whoever bought it. I only asked for $60, but thinking about it after it was gone, I should have asked for more considering that I bought a brand new extended-life battery for at least $60 when I got it. Anyway, we barely used it, and we are trying to clear out clutter. We can't believe it, but dad's old couch and chair also sold - for $15! We are really happy about that as we didn't want to lug it to the dump/charity. I just wish the old entertainment unit also sold. The thing weighs a ton. I'm sure a lot of the stuff was under priced, but we just wanted to see it gone.
So the $15 spent on advertising really paid off. I didn't think we'd get many people, but we were fairly busy all day right up until about 2pm (the couch and chair were the last things to go, to our relief) when we started packing up.
The things that didn't sell are going to charity, or the dump - whatever the charity doesn't want, will be dumped. For our other "bigger ticket" items (TV, monitors, printer...) I may advertise on kijiji.ca or something, but mostly we just want rid of it.

Our neighbours ended up being some of our biggest customers, actually. The guy next door bought my old clubs, TV, Mom's old kitchen light, and a superman lunch box! Another neighbour came twice and bought a power washer (that doesn't work), kids carpet, some other toys and games. He wanted one of the TV's for his garage too, but his wife told him otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment