Thursday, July 27, 2006

Echo's Explosive... you guessed it!

In case you didn't get it from the subject line.... Diarrhea!
Yesterday, he must have eaten something, or picked up some kind of bug. Marnie and I have no idea what it could have been because we are always out with him and did not see him eat anything out of the ordinary. But what a surprise to come home to! There was puke and crap EVERYWHERE in and around his cage. Out the back, out the front, out the side... The poor thing! He must have been just dieing in there because it looked as though he was pushing his bum out to the sides of his crate as to not mess inside. He didn't succeed all that well as he had it all over himself and the crate as well as the surrounding carpet. Marnie was the lucky one who got home first and said that she let him out right away where he proceeded to crap 3 times. When I got home, they were back inside with him laying there just happy that we were home -- like nothing had happened!
So Marn ran to Walmart to pick up a little portable Bissel steam cleaner as I started to pick up what I could... he went out another 2 times while marn was gone.
We had to cancel our dinner plans with Marn's sister and Dave's relatives from Scotland because we weren't about to put him back in the crate for a few hours.
I felt so bad for him! I had to take the crate and chew toys outside to hose them off - the toys went in the dishwasher.

Anyway, the emergencies continued all night long. Echo woke us up yelping at about 1:00 AM, so Marn got up to let him out.... and he had already messed in the crate AGAIN - he just went in at 11:30. So she decided to blow up the mattress and sleep downstairs with him so that she could let him out when he needed it. Well, she said he woke her up almost every hour to go out, whether he really needed to or not. He at least was attempting - you know that feeling?! He didn't puke all night, or since we got home yesterday, so that's a good thing and makes me feel that there's nothing too wrong with him. He also ate supper and breakfast this morning fine. The runs continued this morning, though. Marn's parent's offered to take him for today so that they could keep an eye on him which was great, so we packed his crate up this morning and Marn took him over there.

We actually have a Vet appt. tonight, so I called them this morning and told them about what was happening and asked if I should bring in a stool sample for them if I could. They said yes, that's a good idea -- I'm not sure if I heard his hands rubbing together when he said yes, but I guess I'll decide whether to bring one based on the report back from The Simpson camp this afternoon. At 3 PM Drew said he hadn't had anything solid yet all day, so chances are we'll bring one.

Puppy weight: before the explosive diarrhea started he was 34 LBS. We'll get the official weight and health report tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment