Thursday, July 22, 2010

MOTHS!

Since the day we moved into this new older house, we've had a problem with moths.  They were a nuisance more than anything, and we didn't know where they were coming from.  We thought they'd just go away eventually. Well, they haven't so we started looking around more closely.  I had done some reading on them, and apparently they're really tough to get rid of once they "take hold".  Great.  They try to get into any grains, flour, or cereal's that they can, and even will eat through plastic bags to get to them.  A lot of sites say that whenever you buy this kind of food you should deep freeze it for a few days to kill any that might be there from the store, and then after that it should always be stored in hard plastic (air tight) containers, never plastic, or paper bags.
So anyway, we started seeing disgusting little larvae around and thought, that's it. We need to do something about this and started cleaning out our pantry.
They had completely infested a few boxes of open cereal (that we haven't used in a while, thankfully!) and other things (almonds was the other main thing, which I thought was weird).  It was SO gross....  It was supposed to be Marnie's "job" last night, but she couldn't handle it anymore so I finished.  Everything that was open and had the potential of getting infested or exposed was thrown out.  At least 20-30 lbs of food was tossed.  Our cupboards are completely bare right now.  No crackers, cookies, grains, flour, rice, cereal.... nothing except canned goods and unopened pasta.

I'm not sure what we do now, but I think the next step is to wash the cupboards again with bleach this time (we washed them when we moved in).  I have a feeling that Marnie is looking for someone hosting a Tupperware party.  I'm hesitant to buy or put anything back in those cupboards until we have a few weeks of no moths flying around (they seem to only come out at night).  The problem, though is there are these grain moths, and then other kinds as well that will eat your clothes instead of food, so we may be in for a surprise when we pull out a nice sweater for the fall.  We're SO ANNOYED at this.  And disgusted...

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! How annoying and gross!! Lots of surprises in an older home I guess....

    ReplyDelete