Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bathroom Reno

Last night I decided to take a few tiles off the wall to get a taste of what's to come this weekend.  What I thought was behind the tiles, is not at all. I'm thinking now that the tile work in there is original to the house because it's plaster about an inch thick, then metal mesh, then sheet rock and studs, which are also tied into the existing non-tiled walls (so, the finish coat of plaster stops at the top of the tiles and then about an inch more of cement without a finish coat was added making the walls thicker where the tiles are).  There will not be a usable wall after removing the tiles at all.  Not even close.  I have a picture of it which will make more sense when I post it.
So my goal of having the new tub in place for Sunday and ready to re-tile will probably not be happening.  I'll have to gut the walls to the studs on Friday.  I would love it if I can get so far as to remove the tub by the end of the day as well, but that might be a lofty goal.
Saturday and Sunday will most likely be re-drywalling, waterproofing the tub area and prepping for new tub placement. If I get to Monday and I'm able to start tiling the walls again, I'll be thrilled, but I think this is probably a very tight schedule.
The floor tile I'm not even thinking about right now as the walls have thrown a big wrench into the plans.  What was going to be a "minor" bathroom reno is looking more like a pain in the butt large job....

1 comment: