This weekend, we didn't have much planned, but we knew we wanted to do something with the side garden that we cut out a few weeks ago. Either extend or add to it, or something. We decided to do both; extend and add. Friday night I got the pick up truck from work (thank God I can get that often! I've used it so many times over the years), rented a sod cutter to widen the garden, and cut out all the way to the back of the yard and the whole corner behind and including the ever greens. It's a LARGE space, but was mostly unused/useless space. That machine is awesome! It took Marnie about 4 hours the last time to cut out the garden using a garden spade.... this time (and it was a larger space) I was done in about 40 minutes. It was an expensive rental, but WELL worth it!
Saturday, I helped Dave rip out his kitchen floor and lay a new subfloor as they are getting new tile and kitchen counter and cupboards put in. They are trying to spice up the place as they want to move soon.
As I helped Dave, Marn went out to get a load of black earth, then that night we unloaded it. Sunday morning, we got another load, this time of triple-mix (not as expensive as the black soil), spread that, and then got a load of mulch to top it off (we could have used 2 loads). We also planted a few more bushes and bulbs, so hopefully we'll have a decent looking garden in the spring! It was a lot of work, but it looks great (even if it is pretty bare still). We'll be planting more in the spring, I'm sure. And yes, we ARE accepting garden donations!! I'll try and take a few pics tonight to post.
After all this work in the yard/deck, I'm afraid that we won't be able to enjoy it much since we'll most likely move before the plants get big enough to offer the privacy that we are planning with them... I guess that's what happens when you plan 2 foot tall bushes, that are supposed to get 20 feet tall when mature. lol (but they're cheap when they're 2 feet tall!).
next summer come by here, we have lots of perennials that tend to multiply yearly...
ReplyDelete