Thursday, July 26, 2012

The other tooth

So I had my follow up appt with the dental surgeon last week and received news that I didn't want to hear.  It's essentially the worst case scenario. I will require a bone graft from my lower jaw behind my wisdom tooth to build up the bone on the top jaw.  The bone has eroded over the years to the point where it's extremely "thin" and will not support an implant.  He said even with the graft, it will be thin and they won't be able to get the implant in as deep as they would like.  They put in some synthetic bone marrow when they removed the tooth to help it grow and thicken up, but he said that it seems like that did nothing, which was discouraging (that alone was another $300-400 I think). They did that with the other tooth and it did help, or so he said.

It will feel like I've had my wisdom tooth pulled out at the donor site so will be swollen and sore for a few days. My upper front mouth where the recipient site is will be swollen and sore as well. I'll have another 4-5 months of recovery time where I'll be assessed again and hopefully have the implant put in at that time. If I can, it'll be another 4+ months of recovery before the crown can be placed on it.

I'm scheduled for the bone graft on July 31 and needless to say I'm a little bit stressed about it. There's a possibility that it won't be successful, or the implant won't be. The same "odds" as the previous implant. I will be so pissed and discouraged if it doesn't "take", not to mention missing a few thousand dollars and a mouth that's been hacked up.

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible pain in the ass (and mouth!!) :(
    I hope it goes as smoothly and quickly as possible.

    I guess that means a "liquid diet" then? We'll have lots of remedy when you come to the boat on Sunday!! (huge hugs for tomorrow!!)

    ReplyDelete