Thursday, November 15, 2007

Air Miles = Fun Toys!

After years of collecting, it took days to diminish... But it was all "Free", so we're happy about that! But on the sad side, our Air Miles count is exactly ZERO.
The other week we used air miles to purchase our round trip flight from Toronto to Baltimore for the cruise - that actually cost us money because you have to pay for the airport fees and taxes. Just the flight costs are covered.
Then we purchased a tiny digital camera to take with us on the trip (as well as the good Nikon) and some two-way GMRS radio's so that we can keep in touch with A and Den while on board, or between us if we split up during the day. Both free - no tax, no shipping.

As I was ordering those, I noticed that the Air Miles site had 2 PlayStation 3 model for sale which they didn't have before... So I calmly suggested to Marn that we should get that as well for "our" Christmas present. To my surprise she said, "OK - if we have enough after the radios and camera, you can get it". Whoa?? (To fill you in, I had been workin' her about getting one for a little while - especially since they released a cheaper version a few weeks ago and made price drops on all models.) The selling point for her was it'll replace our DVD & CD Player currently in the cabinet and it plays Blu-Ray (high definition) movies! That was a huge selling point for me too, but also for the games, which she doesn't care about.
Anyway, we didn't have enough to get it at the same time. We were about 1000 miles short...
BUT I just happened to look the other day and they changed the Air Miles pricing on it (probably to coincide with the recent price drop), which meant we were 1 mile away from affording it. So I said to Marn the other night that we were only a couple miles away and should get it - and she agreed! You'll understand WHY she did in a minute.


Two minutes after saying yes, she puts on an angry face and says "you bugger! You said we were 1000 miles away from getting it!". I told her that they must have changed the price because we WERE. Well, it turns out that she was "secretly" stashing cash away to purchase it for me for Christmas! She had it all planned out.... I was going to purchase the new Pirates of the Caribbean for her on Blu-Ray, (an earlier conversation we had to not invest in DVD's anymore in anticipation of having to save up enough Air Miles to get the PS3 to watch movies in High Def), then she was going to act all sad that we'd have to wait to watch it... then Candace and Dave were going to get me the game Guitar Hero 3 for the PS3 (hey, it's just not happening in real life, so I might as well be a guitar god in a video game!) and then Marn was going to surprise me right after that with the PS3. It would have been a great surprise!




Another side story about her stashing cash away - she didn't want to purchase it on our Master Card because of last year - I saw the charge from Long & McQuade Music store and correctly guessed about a week before Christmas that she bought me a learn to play guitar book - her only would-be surprise for me. She wasn't very happy about that calling me a snoop and spoiling the fun because she waited as long as possible to purchase it - I just happened to check our transactions the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment