Thursday, August 31, 2006

Summer Sports Wrap-up

I mentioned a while ago in one of my first posts about some sports I was / we are playing this summer, but never posted about them throughout the summer.

We both played Ultimate Frisbee on Sunday nights which we both really enjoy. Again this year the finals were held on our wedding weekend/anniversary so we weren't able to play in the final game. A bit disappointing because we've been the best team for 2 summers now and haven't been able to play in the finals either year. This year we won! Last year we lost in the final game (but had the best record in the league as well).

I played 2-on-2 Beach Volleyball at Chicopee on Monday nights with a friend I met through indoor volleyball. We didn't do so well, although we somehow managed to finish 4th in the league. Throughout the playoffs we won 1 lost 3. Two of those losses were with Marnie who had to sub for my partner because he was on vacation. We usually play pretty good together, but had a bad night. Plus, Marn had only played twice all summer - a hard thing to just step into and adjust for. Anyway, Beach is a lot of fun, but in order to do well, you need to be in better shape than I am right now. Plus I'm getting these injuries that just don't go away anymore (I refuse to say because of age!!)

And the last summer sport that I played this year has yet to wrap up; slow-pitch softball. This is the first time that I've ever played this sport (slow-pitch or softball) and it's pretty fun. My team is not great, but it's fun. I wouldn't mind playing this a little more competitively, though. It's a 35+ league, but the team needed players and I used to work with a guy on the team so he asked me this year. Most teams just want to get out and play, so they don't mind if there a few younger players out. It's harder than I thought it would be to hit that lob ball! last night I almost hit our team's first home run as I hit the fence about a foot or two below the top. That was kind of exciting, but I only got to 1st base because the guy who was on first stayed there until he was sure it wasn't caught. I was standing beside him when it hit the fence. Frustrating!
Anyway, playoff's start next week with the season wrapping up on September 16th. Our team is about 5 wins, 7 losses. Probably about 4th place in a league that has only 6 teams! Anyway, it's fun and I probably will play next year again.

Just a few weeks away, Indoor volleyball starts which I'll be playing on Monday and Friday nights. I think Marnie is going to play as well, but she's not sure yet. I'd like to have a few months off and rehab my injuries, but let's be real here... I won't rehab my injuries, I'll sit on the couch. So it's probably a good thing that the sports start up fairly soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment